Monday, February 06, 2006

Mr M Mouse, Smoking Nazi


It’s a bit weird being a smoker these days. Every single one of us will tell you that they don’t want to smoke anymore. Even the ones who used to smoke on planes way back when you still could don’t have any problem with spending a few hours without a ciggy on their way to Marbella or wherever. I once spent 10 and a half hours on one of them there Jumbo jets flying from London to Seattle and the thought of a ciggy didn’t enter my mind once.

Of course that may have been because I was preoccupied at the time. My mind was filled with much more important things like “Hey, we’re really flying low… or are those icebergs just really big” and “please God don’t let the plane crash, please God don’t let the plane crash, please God don’t let the plane crash”. I am a bad flyer.

Any road, bad flights aside (and it wasn’t even a bad flight), none of us really want to smoke. If someone we didn’t know asked us if we smoked we’d probably feel a little embarrassed admitting to it, and God forbid we should be asked by a Doctor of any sort. Admitting to a Dr that you smoke is a bit like telling the Queen you were quite a fan of her daughters-in-law.

I always said I would quit by the time I was thirty, but thirty came and went in a blur. Then last year I said that I wouldn’t make it a New Year’s resolution because that way I was guaranteed to fail, but I would quite by the time the family came over from Blighty to stay in May. Next thing you know May was here and smoking areas in theme parks are hard to come by these days. Apparently Mickey Mouse is a smoking nazi.

Aside : I can’t wait to see a Google search linking here courtesy of the name “Mickey Mouse” and the word “nazi”.

Of course the biggest problem with quitting isn’t the “hey, gimme more nicotine” thing. At least it hasn’t been for me the couple of times I’ve tried. It’s the habit cigs – one in the morning with a cup of coffee, one in the car leaving work, the last one at night when I let the crazy pooch out to take a Jimmy. Those are the ciggys I actually enjoy, and those are the ones I fear giving up the most.

So here I am sitting on the lanai (fancy Florida term for a back porch with a fly net on it, in case you didn’t know), ciggy in hand, tapping away on the laptop. I actually find it very relaxing you know, sitting out here, mindlessly jotting down random musings in electronic format. I’ve noticed that a lot lately, it’s quite nice, very relaxing in fact, sitting here with a cup of tea, ciggy and…

Oh bugger. I’ve only been doing this for the last 10 days and I’ve given myself another reason not to quit.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?